Mobile Equine Veterinary Service

Contact Info

Dr. Porter @ 352-258-3571
portermi.dvm@gmail.com

Read more about Dr. Porter
And PHD Veterinary Services @



Thursday, April 12, 2012

What is that bug?

Blister beetle is his name and death is his game! 


Ingestion of just a few of these insects results in Cantharidin toxicosis. The poison from these beetles results in large scale ulceration of the oral mucosa, esophagus, and stomach. In addition, the horses often are stricken by acute kidney failure, laminitis and death shortly there after, despite significant medical intervention. The beetles live in alfalfa hay and are often transported in bales of hay from the western part of the United States. 


Check out the following website for more details regarding this horrible bug!


http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef102.asp



No comments:

Post a Comment